- Eugenie Le Sommer becomes France's greatest goalscorer
- Les Bleues captain now has 82 goals in 172 appearances
- The 31-year-old eclipsed the record of retired great Marinette Pichon
Eugenie Le Sommer's stellar career reached a new high on Tuesday as the French striker became her country's greatest ever goalscorer.
Le Sommer scored a double against North Macedonia in a UEFA Women's EURO qualifier to surpass the record of Marinette Pichon.
The 31-year-old Le Sommer netted a free-kick on the quarter-hour mark, and then surpassed her compatriot with a penalty four minutes later in her 172nd appearance.
The Les Bleues captain debuted in 2009 three years after Pichon brought the curtain down on her decorated 12-year career.
Canada's veteran captain Christine Sinclair holds the world record with 186 goals.
"She (Pichon) was a super player and I know what it represents to beat this record," said Le Sommer.
France's 7-0 win in Skopje maintains their perfect record after four matches in Group G in pursuit of qualification for England 2022.
France's top ten goalscorers:
- Eugenie Le Sommer - 82 goals / 172 appearances (debut 2009)
- Marinette Pichon - 81 goals / 112 appearances (1994 - 2007)
- Marie-Laure Delie - 65 goals / 123 appearances (2009 - 2017)
- Gaetane Thiney - 58 goals / 163 appearances (debut 2007)
- Camille Abily - 37 goals / 183 appearances (2001 - 2017)
- Louisa Necib - 36 goals / 145 appearances (2005 - 2016)
- Elodie Thomis - 32 goals / 141 appearances (2005 - 2017)
- Hoda Lattaf - 31 goals / 111 appearances (1997 - 2007)
- Elise Bussaglia - 30 goals / 192 appearances (2003 - 2019)
- Wendie Renard - 24 goals / 120 appearances (debut 2011)