Football is a global sport and its rules must be interpreted and applied with absolute consistency wherever the game is played. FIFA therefore has a policy of ongoing training for its referees to ensure that refereeing standards continue to improve and the Laws of the Game are applied the same way everywhere.
- To organise courses and seminars for instructors, referees and assistant referees at international, national and regional level;
- To define fundamental criteria and requirements for instructors of referees and assistant referees;
- To provide up-to-date training programmes and course materials;
- To adopt guidelines on technical support for referees and the appointment of
- refereeing trios from the same country or confederation for tournaments organised by FIFA;
- To determine the tasks and responsibilities assigned to members of the Referees Committee and to advisers and instructors at tournaments organised by FIFA;
- To revise and update the Laws of the Game and the 'Questions & Answers' booklet under the guidance of the
International Football Association Board, in a way that makes innovation possible whilst respecting tradition;
- To devise and implement training programmes that prepare both male and female referees for the most important FIFA tournaments.