- Barcelona overwhelm Lyon 5-1 at Camp Nou to progress to last eight
- Last year's finalists Liverpool defeat Bayern Munich 3-1 to advance
- Draw to be held on Friday 15 March at 12:00 CET
Barcelona and Liverpool both progressed to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League after 5-1 and 3-1 aggregate victories over Olympique Lyon and Bayern Munich respectively.
After applying a lot of attacking pressure from the off, Barcelona found the breakthrough via a penalty converted by Lionel Messi, after Luis Suarez was adjudged to have been tackled unfairly in the area by Jason Denayer.
Suarez was pivotal once again as Barcelona doubled their lead after the Uruguayan striker unselfishly found a wide open Philippe Coutinho, who slotted in one of the easier goals he will score in his career.
Lyon pulled one back in the second half when, after a goalmouth scramble, Lucas Tousart was given enough time to control a ball with his chest before finishing from close range.
Messi gave Ernesto Valverde’s side the breathing room they craved when he finished off a superb individual move with just over ten minutes to go in the second half. Gerard Pique and Ousmane Dembele both added goals to their name – both assisted by Messi – to ensure the Blaugrana’s campaign would live another round.
Liverpool beat Bayern in Bavaria
Liverpool made sure their bid to return to the Champions League final in consecutive years remained intact as they beat Bayern Munich 3-1 at the Allianz Arena.
Sadio Mane opened the scoring for Jurgen Klopp's side in Munich when he showed superb ball control and technique before rounding Manuel Neuer and converting his chance.
Bayern then drew level after Joel Matip inadvertently poked the ball into his own goal in an attempt to prevent the deadly Robert Lewandowski from getting a clear goalscoring opportunity.
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk then turned the tie completely in his side's favour when he rose above everyone else in the penalty area and headed in James Milner's corner kick to score his first ever Champions League goal.
Mane made sure it was another famous European night for the Merseyside club when he scored his second of the night, heading in Mohamed Salah's chipped cross to put the result beyond any doubt.
UEFA Champions League 2018/19 quarter-finalists
- Manchester United
- Tottenham Hotspur
- Manchester City
The quarter-final and semi-final draws will take place at the home of UEFA in Nyon, Switzerland on Friday 15 March, with the draw ceremony beginning at 12:00 CET.
Did you know?
- Lionel Messi made his 131st Champions League appearance for Barcelona, moving him into second all-time at the club, passing Andres Iniesta and behind only Xavi (151).
- Lyon became the first team from France to score 200 Champions League goals.
- Lionel Messi scored his 31st brace (at least two goals) in the Champions League. Only Cristiano Ronaldo (35) has more.
- Sadio Mane scored his 12th and 13th Champions League goals for Liverpool to equal Mohamed Salah (13). Only Steven Gerrard (21) has scored more Champions League goals for The Reds.