Relive Round 1 of African World Cup qualifying
04 Sep 2019
The road to Qatar 2022 in Africa starts HERE
How was it being transported to Africa to experience the first round of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ qualifiers?
For the first time, FIFA's digital platforms brought you live streams from Round 1 of #WCQ across CAF. Catch up on all the action below, from highlights to full match replays and more.
🗓️ 10 September
🎥 Malawi 1-0 Botswana (Agg. 1-0)
- Gerald Phiri's coolly dispatched late penalty delighted a passionate home support in Blantyre and took Malawi through in this tight and evenly contested tie. The hosts set a new national record by racking up a third successive clean sheet in World Cup preliminaries.
🎥 Eswatini 0-0 Djibouti (Agg. 1-2)
- Djibouti saw out a tense, goalless second leg lacking in clear-cut chances to advance thanks to their 2-1 victory in the sides’ first meeting. The visitors will participate in the second round for just the second time having avoided defeat in an away World Cup qualifier for the first time - this after six straight defeats on the road.
🎥 Zimbabwe 3-1 Somalia (Agg. 3-2)
- After 77 minutes of Somalia stoutly resisting Zimbabwean attacks, four goals in some crazy closing stages settled this thrilling encounter in the hosts’ favour. Khama Billiat’s unstoppable stoppage-time effort – fired left-footed into the top-right corner – ended the hopes of the lowest-ranked team involved in Africa’s Qatar 2022 qualifiers. The dramatic winner ended a run of 11 World Cup qualifiers without a win for Zimbabwe.
🎥 Mozambique 2-0 Mauritius (Agg. 3-0)
- The hosts were dominant throughout and stretched their aggregate advantage to progress to the next phase thanks to an early opener from Bauque and a second-half penalty by Geny Catamo. It could have been more but for some heroics in the Mauritius goal by Jean-Louis, whose efforts were not enough to half Os Mambas heading into the next round.
🎥 Angola 2-1 Gambia (Agg. 3-1)
- Following a 1-0 win in Bakau on 6 September, Angola maintained their advantage at home in the second leg against Gambia, prevailing on goals from Geraldo and Fabio Abreu. The former struck four minutes before half-time, and Gambia answered through Assan Ceesay in the 66th minute to give themselves a shot at advancement. But Abreu dashed the visitors' hopes two minutes later to keep Angola's Qatar 2022 hopes alive.
🎥 Togo 2-0 Comoros (Agg. 3-1)
- Comoros are unable to build off their home draw earned on 6 September and remain winless in 10 World Cup qualifiers. Togo advance in front of a home crowd in Lome thanks to Kassim M'Dahoma's own goal in the 10th minute and Gilles Sunu's 70th-minute strike.
🎥 Rwanda 7-0 Seychelles (Agg. 10-0)
- Rwanda notch a resounding win in the return leg against Seychelles, their largest in World Cup qualifying history. Their largest win ever was 9-0 over Djibouti in 2007. Jacques Tuyisenge and Meddie Kagere led the way in Kigali with a brace apiece.
🎥 Guinea-Bissau 2-1 Sao Tome e Principe (Agg. 3-1)
- Guinea-Bissau hadn’t won a World Cup qualifier since a 3-2 win over a Titi Camara-spearheaded Guinea in 1996 until back-to-back victories sent them into the second round of the African preliminaries for the first time.
🎥 Namibia 2-0 Eritrea (Agg. 4-1)
- Eritrea fall at the first hurdle of African qualifying for the fifth time in as many attempts.
🎥 Sudan 0-0 Chad (Agg. 3-1)
- Sudan are winless in eight home World Cup qualifiers since 2008.
⚽️ PREVIOUS MATCHDAYS
- 📽️ Burundi 1-1 Tanzania: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Ethiopia 0-0 Lesotho: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Eritrea 1-2 Namibia: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ South Sudan 1-1 Equatorial Guinea: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Mauritius 0-1 Mozambique: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Djibouti 2-1 Eswatini: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Sao Tome e Principe 0-1 Guinea-Bissau: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Liberia 3-1 Sierra Leone: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Seychelles 0-3 Rwanda: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Chad 1-3 Sudan: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Somalia 1-0 Zimbabwe: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Gambia 0-1 Angola: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Comoros 1-1 Togo: Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Lesotho 1-1 Ethiopia (1-1 agg., Ethiopia through on away goals): Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Tanzania 1-1 Burundi (2-2 agg., 3-0 PSO): Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Equatorial Guinea 1-0 South Sudan (2-1 agg.): Highlights | Full match replay
- 📽️ Sierra Leone 1-0 Liberia (2-3 agg.): Highlights | Full match replay
🌍 WCQ on social media 👇
Mozambique's resolute defence was key in their return leg triumph over Mauritius
Rwanda were dominant at home to see off Seychelles and land in the second round
Here's how Djibouti reached the second round of World Cup qualifying for only the second time in their history
Celebrations abound as Malawi are through to the next round of World Cup qualifying
Malawi advance to the second round after their 1-0 aggregate victory over Botswana. Miss the action? We've got you covered!
The scene is set in Togo as the hosts get ready to take on Comoros
Mozambique fans enjoyed that! They're on their way to the second round after a 3-0 aggregate victory over Mauritius
Angola are ready for their home test against Gambia
Can Mauritius spring a surprise in Mozambique? Here's how the visitors line up
Here's how Zimbabwe line up against visitors Somalia today. Can they overturn their 1-0 defeat from the first leg?
Can Comoros spring a surprise in Togo? After a 1-1 draw in the first leg, one more tie stands in the way of a much-coveted group stage place for both sides
Mozambique-Mauritius is just one of a plethora of live streams available on FIFA.com and YouTube showing African World Cup qualifying matches
A big day for Gambia. Can they overturn their 1-0 defeat against Angola in the return leg? They have home advantage today
These Somalia fans are travelling in style for their country's return leg against Zimbabwe. Next stop: Harare
Stay with us throughout the day as we bring you live streams of today's African World Cup qualifiers. Stay tuned!
A big boost for Zimbabwe as star man Khama Billiat returns to the side for their home tie against Somalia. Today's visitors boast a 1-0 advantage going into the return leg
Peter Shalulile remains Namibia's skipper for today's home test against Eritrea
Tanzania fans were LOVING their penalty win on Sunday!