Mia Hamm, Sissi and Wen Sun are among 16 players selected to the MasterCard All-Star Team of the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup by the FIFA Technical Study Group, it was announced at a press conference here today.
The MasterCard All-Star Team program, which was created by MasterCard in 1991, has been implemented at a total of seven FIFA World Championships. The program recognizes and honors the top players of the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup and supports FIFA's official charity, SOS Children's Villages, which provides homes for disadvantaged children worldwide. On behalf of the all-stars selected, MasterCard, an official sponsor of the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup, will make a total donation of U.S. $16,000 to SOS Children's Villages. Since the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy, MasterCard has donated more than U.S. $1,000,000 to international charities on behalf of soccer players representing FIFA's six confederations.
The FIFA Technical Study Group is coordinated by Tatjana Haenni (Switzerland) and includes the following panel members: Sylvie Beliveau (Canada), Futaba Kioka (Japan), Elisabeth Loisel (France), Gunilla Paijkull (Sweden), Vera Pauw (Holland), Chief Onigbinde (Nigeria).
The 16 members of the MasterCard All-Star Team are as follows:
GAO Hong (CHN)
SCURRY Briana (USA)
WANG Liping (CHN)
WEN Lirong (CHN)
FITSCHEN Doris (GER)
OVERBECK Carla (USA)
CHASTAIN Brandi (USA)
Zhao Lihong (CHN)
LIU Ailing (CHN)
WIEGMANN Bettina (GER)
AKERS Michelle (USA)
JIN Yan (CHN)
SUN Wen (CHN)
AARONES Ann Kirstin (NOR)
HAMM Mia (USA)
The FIFA Technical Study Group made the following comments on the 16 players selected:
- Gao (CHN): "Solid, good in the air, explosive."
Scurry (USA): "Composed, good positional sense and excellent shot stopper."Defenders:
Wang (CHN): "Good reading of the game, fast, good technical ability."
- Wen (CHN): "Leads the defense, good in the air, accurate distribution."
- Fitschen (GER): "Commands the defense, physically strong, difficult to beat, good in the air."
- Overbeck (USA): "Good vision and covering of the defense."
Chastain (USA): "Strong, good in the air, attack minded, dominates the left side." Midfielders:
Sissi (BRA): "A master of the ball, magical left foot, terrific goal scorer, excellent at free kicks."
- Zhao (CHN): "Fast and classical left-sided player, excellent crosser of the ball."
- Liu (CHN): "Playmaker, accomplished technical skills, effective distribution."
- Wiegmann (GER): "Playmaker, organizes from a deep position, physically strong, great stamina."
Akers (USA): "Charismatic, excellent header, strong recuperation, powerful." Strikers:
Jin (CHN): "Outstanding anticipation, good positioning, creates space for others, good technical skills."
- Sun (CHN): "Exceptional all around, a genius."
- Aarones (NOR): "Match winner, powerful in the air."
- Hamm (USA): "Explosive penetrative skills, strong team player."