New Zealand late show denies Mexico
© Getty Images

New Zealand scored two goals in the dying minutes for a dramatic 2-2 comeback draw against Mexico to secure their first FIFA Women’s World Cup™ point, and at the same time deny Mexico their maiden victory on the world stage.

The result sees Mexico finish third on two points, well behind group winners England on seven with Japan on six.

Mexico started in motivated fashion hoping to potentially overhaul England on goal difference but, despite two first-half goals, Mexico’s dreams of a goal avalanche failed to materialise.

Mexico commenced in the best possible fashion with Stephany Mayor being set free on the right, before firing between the legs of an exposed New Zealand goalkeeper Jenny Bindon. Within a matter of minutes El Tri attacking ace Maribel Dominguez fired over the crossbar as Mexico sought to build momentum.

The New Zealanders had to wait until midway through the first half before their first tangible effort, with Rosie White's shot pushed away by Cecilia Santiago and Amber Hearn firing the rebound over the crossbar.

Dominguez hit her first 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup goal as a long ball from Mexico on 29 minutes caught the New Zealand defence flat-footed and the El Tri attacker coolly finished past Bindon.

New Zealand finished the half on a high with Anna Green’s well hit free-kick forcing a save from Santiago.

Mexico seemed to lose their impetus in the second half with Monica Ocampo having a rare sight of goal only to fire well wide.

Neverthless the match seemed certain to end in victory for Mexico only for Rebecca Smith to give New Zealand hope with a 90th minute headed goal from a corner.

Hannah Wilkinson then ensured the most dramatic conclusion to a match at Germany 2011 with a coolly-taken equaliser four minutes into injury time. The Football Ferns celebrated at the conclusion of the match with their own rendition of the Haka much to the joy of the Sinsheim crowd.

Player of the match: Maribel Dominguez