- FIFA has published the Women’s Football Administrator Handbook
- It offers guidance and practical support for all member associations
- It aims to increase participation in and further professionalise the women’s game
A key part of FIFA’s vision is to develop the women’s game, enhance its professionalisation and exploit its great potential. Together with its member associations and stakeholders, FIFA works passionately to empower girls and women, to make football a sport for all, and to advocate against gender discrimination in football.
Another milestone on this journey is the publication of the first-ever Women’s Football Administrator Handbook.
This handbook is a guide, offering a better understanding of how strategies, practices and procedures can reinforce the objectives of growing women’s football and fostering gender equality. It proposes good practices learned from experience and points the reader in the right direction for further and specific support.
The handbook is designed as an overview for FIFA’s member associations and other stakeholders, and focuses on four parts:
- 1. The importance of having women in leadership positions, including new and innovative ways to evolve and establish women’s participation at all levels
- 2. The need for a women’s football strategy and how it can be implemented in an organisation
- 3. The financial support and programmes that are available to help grow women’s football professionally
- 4. The benefits of hosting a FIFA tournament and how to approach the bidding process
In addition to covering gender matters in organisational structures and governance, this handbook also brings together all gender-specific areas in FIFA’s regulatory framework, ranging from the FIFA Statutes and their female quotas to player registration and the women’s international match calendar.
Sarai Bareman, FIFA Chief Women’s Football Officer, says: “As the world’s most popular sport, football offers unique opportunities for women to realise their potential and to play an active role in the development of our game. This handbook offers guidance and inspiration to enhance the support for women’s football, both on and off the pitch, and to develop the women’s game further.”