The host nation turned on the style to reach the final of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in impressive fashion as they recorded a 5-1 victory over Korea Republic. Once again Germany had no trouble finding the net with golden girl Alexandra Popp scoring another two goals to reach nine in total for the tournament.

In heavy rain in Bochum, the South Koreans made a good start and attacked with purpose. Germany were the first to threaten the goal however with Popp’s sprint down the left wing ending with a Sylvia Arnold header which was saved by Moon So-Ri.

South Korea responded with a Jung Hae-In volley following a cross from Jeong Yeonga, but again the goalkeeper was not stretched in making the stop. Shortly after a drive from Germany playmaker Dzsenifer Marozsan was only inches away from hitting the target.

Germany’s pressure told in the 13th minute. Tabea Kemme crossed from the left to the far post where right-winger Svenja Huth crept behind Jeong to score on the volley.

It might have become two when a neat Marozsan pass found Popp unmarked in front of Moon but the keeper was able to make the save.

Down the left Arnold was shining for the hosts and her shot from just outside the area after 21 minutes travelled just wide. After that Kim Kulig’s volley shot from a corner kick sailed over the bar.

With the fans roaring them on, Germany made it 2-0 when Kulig’s shot slipped through Moon’s hands. The goalkeeper made amends soon after to deny Arnold after the winger had executed a wonderful turn to throw off her marker.

It took Maren Meinert's team only five minutes after the break to make it 3-0. Again Arnold was the instigator as she dribbled into the area. Her shot was blocked but the ball squirted out to Popp who needed only one touch before placing the ball in the net.

It had become a difficult struggle for the Asian team who were not used to conceding goals on this scale. And it got worse as Moon was again unable to hold on to a Kulig shot, the ball squirming over the line for 4-0.

South Korea’s star turn, midfielder Ji So-Yun, had been shackled up to now but just past the hour she unleashed a dangerous shot which Almuth Schult saved impressively.

Ji had the bit between her teeth now and she pulled a goal back in that elusive style of hers, dribbling past three German defenders before skilfully directing her shot beyond the keeper.

It didn’t take long for Germany to restore their four-goal advantage. Popp hammered in a shot that crashed back off the crossbar. The ball flew out to a defender but instead of clearing it she chose to catch it even though she was standing inside the area. Popp made no mistake from the spot as Germany roared on to Sunday’s final in Bielefeld where they will meet either Colombia or Nigeria.