Media Release

Federation Internationale de Football Association

FIFA Strasse 20, P.O Box 8044 Zurich, Switzerland, +41 (0) 43 222 7777

Monchengladbach, Bochum and Bielefeld submit impressive applications for 2011

Monchengladbach, Bochum and Bielefeld all created a good impression on Monday and Tuesday when they were the first ports of call in a stadium tour for the Organising Committee (OC) of the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011. "We were able to see for ourselves the high standards which had been set by the various application documents from the candidates," said a very positive Winfried Nass, the OC's Head of Venues and Stadiums. "There is also the euphoria and anticipation ahead of the Women's World Cup that you can sense among all those in charge. It has certainly become quite clear that we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to choosing the venues."

The definitive decision regarding stadiums should be made by autumn 2008. The German Football Association (DFB) applied to FIFA last year with 12 cities and stadiums to host matches at the first Women's World Cup to be held in Germany, with the OC already having inspected stadiums in Augsburg, Dresden, Magdeburg, Sinsheim and Wolfsburg as well as Monchengladbach, Bochum and Bielefeld. Leverkusen and Frankfurt will also be visited during March, while Nass will meet Berlin stadium officials during the German cup final. The OC is also in advanced talks with Essen. "We are being very clear and above board with the cities at all times," says Nass of the process.

The Organising Committee is expecting FIFA to decide on the number of participating teams for the 2011 event later this month.