It is the tenth year that the FIFA World Player has been selected by the coaches of the world's national teams, with a record 150 coaches taking part in this year's voting. Rivaldo of Brazil won the title last year, the previous winners having been Zinedine Zidane (France, 1998), Ronaldo (Brazil, 1996 and 1997), George Weah (Liberia, 1995), Romario (Brazil, 1994), Roberto Baggio (Italy, 1993), Marco Van Basten (Holland, 1992) and Lothar Matthäus (Germany, 1991).
The three contenders for the title of FIFA World Player 2000 are, in alphabetical order:
- Luis Figo (Real Madrid/Portugal)
- Rivaldo (FC Barcelona/Brazil)
- Zinedine Zidane (Juventus Turin/France)
In addition three exceptional awards will be given:
- FIFA Player of the Century
- FIFA Woman Player of the Century
- FIFA Club of the Century
The male and female FIFA Player of the Century have been voted by the readers of the FIFA web site www.fifa.com, the readers of the FIFA Magazine and an International FIFA Jury. The male candidates' list comprised 27 players, the female list 8 players.
The FIFA Club of the Century was voted exclusively by the readers of the bi-monthly FIFA Magazine.
The recipients of the other FIFA annual awards have already been announced:
- Team of the Year - Netherlands
- Best Mover of the Year - Nigeria
- FIFA Fair Play Prize for 2000 - Lucas Radebe (Leeds United/South Africa)
- Fair Play Award for Olympic Football Tournament, Men's competition - Brazil
- Fair Play Award for Olympic Football Tournament, Women's competition - Germany