- Portugal are the fifth and final European qualifier for Paraguay 2019
- They defeated Spain on penalties to secure their place
- Russia, Italy, Belarus and Switzerland already booked passage
The field for the FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup Paraguay 2019 is officially set after Portugal became the last team to qualify today, inching past Spain on penalties in Moscow to finish fifth in the European qualifiers and become the sixteenth and final team to reach the global finals.
It took everything the Seleção das Quinas had to fight their way past La Roja, with the match locked at 4-4 after regulation and 5-5 after extra time before Portugal sealed their spot 3-1 on penalties. This will be their ninth Beach Soccer World Cup appearance.
For Spain it's another frustrating end to their qualifying bid. The 2013 silver medalists missed out on the tournament in 2017 as well.
Russia finished first on home sand, clinching the continental title by beating Italy in the final, while Belarus topped Switzerland in the third-place match.
Paraguay 2019 will take place between 21 November and 1 December with the following 16 nations represented:
- AFC: Japan, United Arab Emirates, Oman
- CAF: Senegal, Nigeria
- Concacaf: Mexico, USA
- CONMEBOL: Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay
- OFC: Tahiti
- UEFA: Russia, Italy, Belarus, Switzerland, Portugal