Former German striker Gerd Müller, top American woman player Michelle Akers and South African President Nelson Mandela are among the personalities due to receive the FIFA Order of Merit on the occasion of the 51st Ordinary Congress of FIFA.
The full list of ten recipients is as follows :
- Michelle Akers (USA), gold medallist in the 1991 Women’s World Cup and the 1996 Olympic Tournament
- Larbi Ben Barek (Morocco/France), star striker in the 1930s, 40s and 50s
- the late Guillermo Canedo (Mexico), former FIFA Senior Vice-President and Chairman of the FIFA World Cup Organising Committee
- Henry Fok (Hong Kong), former FIFA Executive Committee member and patron of football in Hong Kong and China
- Gilmar (Brazil), goalkeeper in the World Cup in 1958, 1962 and 1966
- President Nelson Mandela, for his enthusiastic support in re-integrating football into post-apartheid South Africa
- Sir Bert Millichip (England), former Chairman of The F.A. and FIFA Committee member
- Gerd Müller (Germany), gold medallist in the 1974 World Cup and leading goal-scorer in the 1970 World Cup
- Fernand Sastre (France), co-President of the French World Cup Organising Committee France 98
- Karl-Heinz Weigang (Germany), a pioneer coach of the FIFA International development Programme in the 1970s.
The awards will be presented at the Opening Ceremony of the Congress in Paris on Sunday 7 June.