Benitez still in hunt for Barry
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has insisted he is still in the hunt to sign Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry.
Benitez is believed to be facing opposition from his club's American owners over the reported £18-million (34.5-million-dollar) cost of the 28-year-old. However, the Spaniard has promised to sign one more new player this summer, insisting it will be to fill his problem left-flank area and maintained the new player will be English.
"The situation is not a question of money," said Benitez after Liverpool beat Lazio 1-0 in a friendly on Friday. "He (Barry) is English and can play three different positions, but I am talking about someone who can play on the left."
Xabi Alonso had been expected to make way for Barry but he now looks set to stay at Anfield after a fine performance on Friday.
Benitez said: "We have a good player (Alonso) and we have another good player coming in soon. We can improve the squad, so we will try to do that. We will bring in one more player if we can.
"I do not know when. But clearly we have problems on the left. (Harry) Kewell has gone, (Fabio) Aurelio is injured and (Sebastien) Leto cannot get a work permit. (Ryan) Babel is away in the Olympic Games. Maybe he can come back and fill that role, but I know we can improve in this area.
"Who comes in? It could be another left-sided player, rather than a central midfielder. Maybe he can play in three different positions - that is a positive thing. I am talking about one player but I won't say the name."