Aragones denies Fenerbahce deal
Spain coach Luis Aragones on Wednesday denied he had signed a pre-contract with Turkish giants Fenerbahce, who earlier in the day had announced the news.
The Istanbul-based club had said in a brief statement: "The final contract and other bureaucratic procedures will be handled after the 2008 European Championships."
It added that the 69-year-old Spaniard would bring his own four-man team of technical assistants to the club. But Aragones pleaded ignorance when asked about the matter on the eve of his team's crucial UEFA EURO 2008 semi-final against Russia in Vienna.
"I don't understand what that's all about, I haven't signed anything," he said.
Fenerbahce had given no further details, but Spain's sports daily Marca reported Wednesday that the club had offered Aragones a two-year deal worth three million euros (4.8 million dollars) per year.
It said, without identifying its sources, that the precontract was signed in Switzerland - although Spain have been based in and playing in Austria since the beginning of the EURO 2008 tournament.
Another sports newspaper, AS, meanwhile said the Spanish football federation is ready to try and convince Aragones - former Real Madrid coach Vicente del Bosque was expected to replace him - to remain in the post for another two years, even though he has made it clear he wants to quit after the finals.
However, Aragones ruled that out.
"There's been no such offer but that was something that we had already decided, so there was no reason for there to be one," he added.
A former Spanish international, Aragones coached several Spanish clubs before becoming the national coach in 2004.
At Fenerbahce he would replace Brazilian legend Zico, who joined the club on a two-year contract in July 2006, leading them to the league and Turkish Supercup titles during their centenary year in 2007.
Fenerbahce earlier this month suspended negotiations with Zico, 55, over renewing his contract.