Beckham: New deal no easy decision
David Beckham admits his decision to stay with the
The former England captain's five-year contract with the Major League Soccer side expired last month and he had been linked with a move to Paris St Germain among other clubs. However, the 36-year-old has now signed a new two-year deal with the
And he insists he feels there is still more to achieve in America as he enters the final chapter of his career. "It was a decision that I didn't take lightly," he said on a YouTube and Google+ webchat. "I had other offers and at 36 you don't expect to get these.
"The future of the game is in the US and where my family is happiest. I love living in the LA, I love living in America," he said. "For me, soccer's the number-one sport around the world, apart from America. I want to get soccer to another level in the US. I've felt a change in the last two years and don't want to walk away from it - I want to continue to be a part of that growth."
Galaxy general manager and head coach Bruce Arena said: "I am thrilled that David has chosen to re-join the Galaxy, especially as he had numerous options where he could continue his career. I felt that he was one of the best players in all of MLS last season and we could not have achieved the success that we did without him.
"We look forward to trying to replicate that success this season with David once again in a Galaxy uniform," Arena went on.
The LA Galaxy start their pre-season campaign next week and return to competitive action on 7 March when they travel to face Toronto FC in the first leg of their 2011/12 CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final. Their first game of the 2012 MLS season is on Saturday 10 March at home to Real Salt Lake.