Neymar extends Santos contract
Highly-coveted Brazilian forward Neymar put a definitive end to speculation about his club future as he extended his contract with Santos for a further two years to 2014.
The 19-year-old had already said in September that he would not be moving in the transfer window in January, dashing the hopes of several European clubs, primarily Spanish giants Real Madrid.
On Wednesday he went a step further in committing himself to the club up till the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ which Brazil is hosting. "Neymar will continue with us till 2014, the contract is signed," said club president Luis Alvaro Oliveira Ribeiro.
"We concluded negotiations today. This tussle has been like that of Don Quixote but has ended well, with a concrete result, and that is that Neymar will continue to the World Cup, under a signed and sealed contract."
The player himself expressed his satisfaction that he would be staying with them. "I am very happy, it is a decision I took with my family," said Neymar, who became a father for the first time earlier this year.
Neymar, who had a mixed year with club and country helping Santos to win the Libertadores Cup, but only reached the Copa America quarter-finals with Brazil, said he had been flattered by the interest shown in him by other clubs.
"I would like to thank these clubs for the interest they have expressed in me as a footballer, but it is important to make choices in life, and my choice was Santos," said Neymar.