Mutu seals move to Cesena
Forward Adrian Mutu has revealed he was content to take a pay cut to ensure his protracted move to Cesena, which was finally completed on Thursday.
The 32-year-old Romanian international signed a two-year contract, with the option of a third, to end his five-year spell at Fiorentina. Mutu had been close to joining Cesena in January, but the Viola, who were competing for a place in Europe at the time, blocked the move.
"I am excited and cannot wait to throw myself headlong into this new adventure," Mutu told Cesena's official website. "I thank the president [Igor] Campedelli for bringing me into the middle of this ambitious project at Cesena."
Cesena ended an almost two-decade spell outside Serie A when they were promoted to the top tier 12 months ago, and after avoiding the drop last term Mutu is aiming to help them push on.
"It is a club that has shown in recent years that they have clear ideas on how to achieve success and, above all, has the courage to carry them out," Mutu said. "For this reason I accepted the proposal which reduces my wages."
Mutu fell out with Fiorentina bosses after his move to Cesena fell through in January, but thanked his former employers after a stay that saw him score 54 goals in 112 league appearances.
"I want to give my best wishes to Fiorentina also, and especially the Della Valle family, for the wonderful years we spent together," he added. "The club will always be in my heart after the wonderful experiences there."