Becks keeping his options open
David Beckham says he is keeping his options open about returning to the MLS for another season after his five-year contract expires with the Los Angeles Galaxy at the end of the season.
The former England captain Beckham said in Toronto on Tuesday that he wants to play somewhere next year but hasn't made up his mind if it will be in North America. He is also not ruling out a return to Europe.
Asked about coming back to the MLS, Beckham told the Toronto Star "there's a chance," though he cautioned that he has not yet decided what he would do after this year. "I think it is important that I just concentrate on my play this year," he added.
Last month in another interview, Beckham hinted at a return to the English Premier League. "This is my last contract year in the USA, but who knows what will happen?" he told The People.
Beckham, who is married to former pop group Spice Girl Victoria Beckham, says he still gets excited about professional football. Beckham turns 36 next month.
"I feel fit. I feel good in games. I feel I am performing well," Beckham said. "So, I need to continue that and then in a few months, I will think about what I have to do and what I want to do. I love the game like I did when I was 21 years old. I look after myself so for the moment there is no reason for me to stop."
Beckham, who is the highest paid MLS player at $6.5 million a year, also has his sights set on playing in the 2012 Olympic Football Tournament in London. He has played in 115 career matches for England.
"I'd like to be involved (Olympics) as a player," he said. "But we will have to wait and see. That's a year away. I will enjoy the rest of this season. We are only five games in."
The Galaxy will be looking for their third win of the season when they face Toronto FC Wednesday at BMO Field. After missing much of training camp, Beckham has started all five games for the Galaxy and leads the team with three assists. But he also has a club-high four yellow cards.
This is a busy year for the Beckham as Victoria is expecting their fourth child in the summer. They also plan to attend Prince William and Kate Middleton's 29 April royal wedding at London's Westminster Abbey.