Mancini: We will talk on Friday
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has said he will hold talks with star striker Carlos Tevez on Friday in a bid to persuade him to stay with the club.
The Argentina forward submitted a formal transfer request at the weekend, claiming his relationship with key executives at the club had broken down "beyond repair" and his representative Kia Joorabchian today accused the club of reneging on promises made to the player.
Tevez did not travel with the rest of the City squad for the UEFA Europa League group match against Juventus in Turin on Thursday. "I haven't spoken to him yet. He is our player and I hope he continues to play for us and score for us," Mancini said. "I will speak with him on Friday."
Tevez's transfer request - at a time when the club find themselves in third place in the Premier League - has come as a surprise to the City boss.
"I am disappointed because we are in a good moment and in a good position in the table and our focus must be on this," the Italian continued.
"I want to speak to him. Carlos has three-and-a-half years left on his contract."
Asked whether he thought he could change the player's mind, Mancini said: "I don't know. It is important we speak."
"We have important games coming up against Juventus tomorrow and against Everton on Monday and lots of (other) important games this month.
"I speak with him a lot - we spoke only last week. I hope he continues to be unhappy if he is scoring goals like this," Mancini joked.