Inter Milan coach Rafael Benitez insists his position is "solid" despite the Nerazzurri's indifferent form. Inter, who claimed the Scudetto, Coppa Italia and UEFA Champions League treble under Jose Mourinho last season, are six points off the pace in Serie A and suffered another setback on Sunday night with a 1-0 home defeat to city rivals AC Milan.
And although president Massimo Moratti admitted yesterday "it would seem difficult to go on like this", Benitez is confident that does not mean his job is on the line. "I feel the confidence of the president," Benitez told Gazzetta dello Sport. "My position is solid."
Inter have been hindered by numerous injuries this season and are looking to strengthen the squad in the January transfer window. "We are all disappointed with the derby defeat," said Benitez. "But I am working with Moratti and with (sporting director Marco) Branca with a view to the January market."
I am working with Moratti and with (sporting director Marco) Branca with a view to the January market.
Rafael Benitez, Inter Milan coach
Inter visit Chievo on Sunday before hosting Dutch outfit FC Twente in next week´s Champions League. They will again play both games without several key players.
The Nerazzurri, who last week lost Argentina defender Walter Samuel to a knee injury for the rest of the season, will be without striker Diego Milito for the next two weeks. The Argentina star sustained a left thigh injury on Sunday.
Sulley Muntari, Maicon, Thiago Motta and Joel Chukwuma Obi are also sidelined until next month through injury.