Inter agree deal with Benitez
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has confirmed Rafael Benitez has agreed a deal to become the club's new coach.
Moratti revealed negotiations with Benitez had not taken place in person and said the Spaniard was due to arrive in Milan this week ahead of finalising his move to the European champions. The Inter president revealed an announcement would be made today to confirm when Benitez would be unveiled as Jose Mourinho's successor at the San Siro.
"We have agreed the final details, which were not important things," Moratti said in a statement on the Inter website: "All that is needed now is a counter-signature. Tomorrow (Wednesday) we will tell you when he will be presented."
Benitez has been in talks with the European champions since his six-year spell as Liverpool manager was ended by mutual consent last week. Moratti revealed yesterday that a deal with the 50-year-old had been "more or less done" and had been confident the details would be finalised today.
Reports in Italy had suggested Benitez would sign a three-year deal worth €5m per season, but Moratti dismissed those claims as "off track" in terms of "duration and the amount". Benitez may wish to take his Anfield assistant Mauricio Pellegrino, goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero and fitness coach Paco de Miguel with him to the San Siro, with Italian Amedeo Carboni - who played under Benitez as a midfielder at Valencia - also touted as a possible backroom addition.
Benitez still had four years to run on his Liverpool contract but left after the Reds could only manage seventh place in the Premier League last season. Liverpool also suffered early exits in the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup.
Benitez had previously been linked with Real Madrid, but they filled their managerial vacancy by wooing Mourinho from Inter after he took them to the treble last season.