Lehmann extends Stuttgart contract
Jens Lehmann has extended his Stuttgart contract to stay with the club next season and revealed that he will seek a return to the national side.
"Stuttgart is a well-led club with great supporters and a positive atmosphere where it's very nice to play," the 39-year-old said on Friday.
Stuttgart's sporting director Horst Heldt added: "Jens Lehmann's decision is an important sign for the club because it shows that we have big ambitions."
Lehmann was Germany's first-choice goalkeeper during the 2006 FIFA World Cup and the 2008 UEFA European Championship. He called time on his 61-cap international career after Germany lost 1-0 to Spain in the UEFA EURO 2008 final in June last year.
Reports in the German media last week linked Lehmann with a return to the national fold, but the rumours were rejected by Germany's coaching set-up. Lehmann, though, admitted to a desire to force his way back into consideration for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
"Getting back into the national team is obviously an incentive," he said. "I'll try to put myself in contention."
Lehmann arrived at Stuttgart on a one-season contract from English Premier League club Arsenal last summer and enjoys a salary of around 2.5 million euros-a-year, with bonuses should the German club qualify for the UEFA Champions League.
Stuttgart are currently sixth in the Bundesliga table, six points off the third and final Champions League qualifying berth.