Milan hopeful of Beckham deal
AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has denied that a deal had been agreed with Los Angeles Galaxy to sign David Beckham but said he was feeling 'optimistic'.
Earlier in the day a Milan press spokesman said that no comment would be made from the club until an announcement is posted on Milan's official website. However, speaking outside a Football League meeting, Galliani said a deal was close to being agreed.
"There's no news but I'm a little more optimistic because we're making progress and with with a little correction here and there to the documents things are going forwards between us and Galaxy," he said. "It has to. It's not official yet but we're on the right path. There are no storms brewing."
Galliani more or less confirmed a deal would be done although he said he couldn't be sure when exactly. "The decisive day could be today (Friday), tomorrow or Monday but the most important thing is that David is here and is playing in the Milan jersey," he said.
Earlier in the day English press reports claimed a deal had been struck to keep the former England captain at the San Siro until the end of the season. Under a unique 'timeshare' agreement the England midfielder would then return to Galaxy from July to October before returning to Milan in November for the rest of next season. A spokesman for Beckham declined to comment.
Beckham initially joined Milan on loan in January until this weekend and was due to head back to the United States on Monday, following Milan's home clash with Atalanta on Sunday. However, the 33-year-old, who arranged the loan deal in order to keep active during the long Major League Soccer off season so he could remain in England manager Fabio Capello's FIFA World Cup™ plans, quickly made it clear he didn't want to go back to Los Angeles.
Milan too were keen to keep hold of the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star who immediately became a first-team fixture.