Pepe Reina has expressed his delight at the announcement that Vicente del Bosque is to continue as Spain coach. Del Bosque confirmed on Thursday that he had been given the green light by the Spanish Football Federation to lead the national team into the UEFA 2016 European Championships in France, despite the team's shock early exit from the FIFA World Cup™.
The 31-year-old Liverpool goalkeeper, a member of Del Bosque's squad in Brazil as well as the victorious campaigns at the 2010 World Cup and 2012 European Championships, gave his backing to the coach after Spain were sent packing from the World Cup following defeats to Netherlands and Chile.
"It's phenomenal news. I've always said that Del Bosque was the right man for the job at this moment, so I'm delighted," Reina told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.
"We all have to start working together from September so we have a good team for the European Championship."
I've always said that Del Bosque was the right man for the job at this moment.
Reina is set to report for pre-season training with Liverpool in the coming days, returning to Brendan Rodgers' side after spending a year on loan in Serie A with Napoli.
The Spaniard was unable to shed any light on whether he will be battling Simon Mignolet for the number one jersey at Anfield next season, but said he was pleased to be returning to Merseyside.
"I still have two years on my contract with Liverpool, I was there for eight years, I love the city and the people there have treated me very well," said Reina.
"Last year I ended up at Napoli, it went very well for me there and I grew as a player but now I'm going back to Liverpool and raring to go."