Roy Hodgson will remain as England coach until the end of UEFA EURO 2016, according to Football Association chairman Greg Dyke.
England's 2-1 defeat by Uruguay means they are likely to exit the FIFA World Cup™ at the group stages for the first time since 1958.
Hodgson, who has two years left on his contract, said after the loss that he would not resign, and today Dyke provided his full backing.
"We're supportive of Roy Hodgson, we've asked him to stay as manager," Dyke told reporters.
When asked by Sky Sports News if he felt Hodgson would remain in his job until the end of his contract, Dyke added: "That is the view of myself, of everybody else here [in Brazil] and of others in the FA."
England lost their first match in Manaus against Italy last week and Luis Suarez's clinical double saw Hodgson's men off in Sao Paulo on Thursday night.
For England to qualify, Italy must win their final two Group D games, and hope that they end up with a better goal difference than Uruguay and Costa Rica, who they play in Belo Horizonte next Tuesday.
It is an improbable set of circumstances, but Dyke believes sacking Hodgson would be the wrong move. "We do not see any value in changing," he added.
"We think Roy has done a good job and it is an approach over four years and we hope to do better in the European Championships."