Alexandru Chipciu's goal in the third minute of stoppage time earned Romania a valuable draw in their 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ qualifying clash in Hungary.

The Steaua Bucharest player, on as an 86th-minute substitute, grabbed the visitors' second leveller of the match to keep his side level on points with Hungary in second place in Group D.

Balazs Dzsudzsak's penalty in the 70th minute had looked set to give the hosts victory, coming just three minutes after Adrian Mutu scored Romania's first equaliser with a penalty of his own to cancel out Vilmos Vanczak's opener.

The draw kept Hungary above Romania on goal difference as the pair battle it out for a play-off spot, with Netherlands holding a five-point lead at the top of the pool

Tonight's match was played at an empty Ferenc Puskas Stadium in Budapest, punishment for abuse and displaying offensive symbols in their friendly at home to Israel last August.

Romania were the first to threaten with Mihai Pintilii's volley bringing a parry out of Gabor Kiraly.

But it was Hungary who went ahead in the 15th minute as Tamas Hajnal's free-kick from the left fell to Vanczak, who fired into the top corner.

Dzsudzsak had an effort blocked as the hosts threatened another, but Kiraly was being kept busy too.

The keeper had to be alert to push away Gheorghe Grozav's header from a Gabriel Tamas cross.

The former Crystal Palace keeper then denied Mutu, before Romania wasted another chance when Bogdan Stancu mis-hit his shot and allowed Tamas Kadar to clear.

Hungary almost got a second two minutes after the break but Adam Szalai's close-range effort was parried by Ciprian Tatarusanu.

Instead Romania levelled in the 67th minute when Zsolt Korcsmar was penalised for a foul on Mutu and the veteran striker dispatched the resulting spot-kick into the bottom corner.

But the hosts were back in front three minutes later thanks to a penalty of their own.

Dorin Goian's foul on Zsolt Korcsmar gave Dzsudzsak the chance from the spot and the Dynamo Moscow man's shot was low into the corner.

But Romania would not lie down and, with time almost up, Chipciu fired home a second equaliser to earn them a point.