Jack Collison will play for Wales in their FIFA World Cup™ qualifier at home to Russia next week despite the death of his father recently in a road accident.
The West Ham midfielder, who has also been included in Brian Flynn's U-21 squad for Friday's qualifier against Italy at Swansea, joined up with the squad last night.
It is expected, however, that the youngster will return to London for his father's funeral at the end of the week and not be involved at the Liberty Stadium. Collison's father Ian, 46, died in a motorway accident while he was travelling to see his son play against Spurs on August 23.
But national boss John Toshack will include Collison in his squad for the Russia game when it is announced on Friday.
Toshack and the Football Association of Wales have sent their condolences to Collison, 20, and have left it up to him whether he makes himself available.
But having played in West Ham's last two games against Millwall, 48 hours after his fathers' death and Saturday's draw at Blackburn, Collison is clearly in the right frame of mind to be involved.
And when he does play against Russia, it will officially tie him to Wales. The Watford-born youngster is also qualified for England, and so far his six Wales caps have all been in friendlies.
An FAW spokesman said: "There has been a lot of conspiracy theories that Jack has avoided competitive internationals to keep his options open. But the fact that he has turned up to train with the U-21s and wants to play against Russia says everything about his commitment to Wales.
"We were all deeply upset for him after his father's death, and he will get all the support and comradeship he needs when he is with the Wales squad and we are delighted that he has made it clear he wants to play against Russia."
Toshack will also name Craig Bellamy and Jason Koumas in his squad. Bellamy controversially missed the friendly in Montenegro last month when his club, Manchester City, forgot to inform the FAW that their player was injured.
Since then City's football administration officer Brian Marwood has written to the FAW to apologise. Bellamy will also captain the side, Cardiff's Joe Ledley having stood in for him for the last three matches due to the striker's injury problems.
Koumas, too, will be back in the fold. He has not played for Wales since the disastrous home defeat by Finland in March, and withdrew from the following match against Germany.
The Wigan midfielder was known to be upset that his performance against Finland had been singled out for criticism despite Wales being aware that he was carrying an injury.
Toshack decided to send Koumas back to Wigan to get the problem sorted out. This season, under new boss Roberto Martinez, Koumas is fully fit and getting regular matches.
His availability was confirmed recently when Wales assistant manager Roy Evans watched Koumas play in a recent match and held talks with the 29 year-old.
Toshack will be without Spurs full-back Gareth Bale, who is still recovering from a knee operation, and Fulham's Simon Davies. The 57-times capped midfielder has yet to play this term after foot surgery.
Nottingham Forest full-back Chris Gunter (hamstring) and Bristol City centre-back Lewin Nyatanga (virus) are set to miss the U-21 game but should recover in time for the Russia match.
The FAW have formally advertised for their first-ever chief executive, to replace outgoing secretary-general David Collins, who retires in January having replaced Alan Evans in 1995.
The new £100,000-a-year post will also involve overseeing the FAW's commercial work, including sponsorship, media rights and matchday revenue. The successful candidate will report to the FAW's president and council.
Headhunting firm Veredus have been requested to produce a shortlist for the FAW committee with 28 September the deadline for applications.
The FAW advert demands "a football lover and seasoned business professional with a track record in deal making and driving commercial revenues with operational management gravitas and strong influencing skills".