Diego Maradona has long been known for his lucid and devil-may-care statements. As unpredictable behind the microphone as he was on the pitch, the famous No10 can be as charming and forthright as he can be volatile and controversial. At FIFA.com we compiled ten of best from the world's most famous Argentinian.
- "Yes, I am a ‘blackhead'* and proud of it. I'll never forget where I came from."
*From the Spanish cabecita negra - a derogatory term used to refer to people from Argentina who came from a poor background.
- "You are never in control with drugs, they control you. Anyone who says, ‘I can handle them' is either lying or deluding themselves."
- "Why am I always fighting against the powers that be? Simple, I loathe any form of injustice."
- "I've packed 70 years into my 40. I've seen it all. I went from a dirt track in Villa Fiorito to the top of the world. When I got there, I had to figure out for myself what to do. Nobody ever told me what it would be like or how to handle it."
- "I was and always will be happy with my ‘hand of God' goal against the English. I offer them a thousand apologies - that's the truth - but I'd do it again a thousand times."
- "My own little revolution is to defend the small people, not as a hero, not as some distant God, but just as a simple footballer."
- "I tried to find happiness playing football, and through it I tried to bring happiness to others. Football is the most beautiful game in the world. Yes, I made mistakes and I paid the price, but you can never tarnish football."
- "The only player that can't be replaced in the national team is Javier Mascherano. In Argentina, it's Mascherano plus ten."
- "I'll be the one making decisions. Of course, I'll listen to Carlos (Bilardo), because he's experienced and won a lot of things. But I am the one who decides who's playing and who's not."
- "This is a moment to enjoy. I'd be more than happy if my parents can see me going out on the field as the national coach, but I don't want to cry. The national team needs a man who makes people laugh and not cry, someone who can bring enjoyment and not tears."