Huh Jung-moo has confirmed he is to leave his post as coach of Korea Republic. The 55-year-old does not want to renew his 30-month contract, which expires at the end of the 2010 FIFA World Cup™.
Huh, whose side were eliminated at the last-16 stage of the competition by Uruguay on Saturday, had stated his intention to leave his role after the tournament but side-stepped talk of his future following their exit.
"I have decided not to seek a second term," he said. "This is not a resignation as my contract finishes at the end of June. I want time to recharge myself and spend some time with my family."
He added: "I have made my decision and told this to the KFA. I want to rest for a while. There are many good coaches in our football community. I think they should be given a chance."
Huh took charge of the national team for a second time in December 2007 and last month guided the Taeguk Warriors to the second round of the FIFA World Cup for the first time outside their own country.
Korea Football Association chairman Cho Chung-Yun said earlier this week they hope to have a new coach appointed "no later than July 10".