Bayern, Atletico complete final four
© Getty Images

Bayern Munich's aspirations at becoming the first team to retain the UEFA Champions League remain alive after a 4-2 aggregate win over Manchester United, while Atletico Madrid reach the semi-finals for the first time in 40 years with a 2-1 defeat of Barcelona.

United fans started dreaming of another Champions League triumph against the Germans when Patrice Evra put the visitors 1-0 up on the night, but the lead lasted just 22 seconds as Bayern claimed a reasonably comfortable win. The Germans dominated possession for most of the evening and ran out 3-1 winners on the night thanks to goals from Mario Mandzukic, Thomas Muller and the superb Arjen Robben.

For the first 10 minutes, United more than held their own, but from then on, it was nearly all Bayern. Robben was a constant menace. His quick feet bamboozled Evra, but the Dutchman's curling effort flew wide. A rare break from United ended with Antonio Valencia tapping home from close range, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

For the rest of the half Bayern camped on the edge of the United box. Robben, Franck Ribery, Muller and Mario Gotze toyed with the visitors, flicking the ball across the lush German grass as they tried to find an opening.

After the break United showed a much more positive attitude. The Bayern defence backed off and Kagawa powered a low shot into Manuel Neuer's hands - the first time the German had been called into action. Then the unthinkable happened. United raced away on the counter, stretching the Bayern back four. Valencia whipped over a beautiful ball to the back post and Evra rifled home the sweetest of half-volleys.

Moyes and the entire United coaching staff sprung from the bench in celebration. Evra was mobbed by his team-mates and the Bayern fans fell silent. Just 22 seconds later it was a different story. United backed off as Bayern went on the attack. Ribery sent over a pinpoint cross and Mandzukic sneaked ahead of Evra to head past David de Gea.

Then with 23 minutes left on the clock, Bayern struck the killer blow. Evra gave Robben the half-yard he needed to fire across the box and Muller swept the ball past De Gea after getting ahead of Vidic. Robben's pace proved to be too much for Evra again. The Dutchman skipped past his marker and strode beyond Vidic before planting his finish into the corner, courtesy of a slight deflection off the Serbian, to signal the end of Moyes' hopes of silverware in his first season.

Wasteful Atleti advance
Atletico Madrid reached the semi-finals of Europe's premier tournament for the first time in four decades following a 1-0 win over Barcelona. Koke's fifth-minute strike was enough to send Atletico through to the last four, although Diego Simeone's men could have killed the tie off in a breathless first 20 minutes.

Atletico, without injured star striker Diego Costa, hit the woodwork three times during their early burst and wasted several other chances late on.  Atletico's start was so compelling that the only shock was they were just 1-0 up after the first 20 minutes.

Koke grabbed the vital goal to send them ahead in the tie after five minutes, although it could have been so much better, but for their hat-trick of near-misses. David Villa was the chief culprit, spurning two glorious chances, to build on Koke's early score.

Even that early goal relied on the frame being rattled first, as Barça failed completely to recover after Adrian Lopez thrashed against the right-hand post. Villa was allowed to dink a cross back across goal and Adrian leapt highest to knock the ball down for an unmarked Koke to side-foot home first time from inside the six-yard box.

Barça were rattled and Villa should have punished his former employers even further when Atletico won the ball on the edge of the area only for the striker to shoot into the left-hand post. Villa made it the complete set when he hooked a shot over Jose Pinto and on to the crossbar after again easily finding a route behind the Barça defence.

When Barça eventually did venture forward even Messi appeared tentative, heading a Dani Alves cross wide when he found a gaping hole in the home defence. The visitors took just two minutes of the second half, though, to create their best chance of the night.

Xavi rolled a perfectly-weighted pass for Neymar, who took a touch, only for Thibaut Courtois to get out early and push the ball away under the Brazilian's feet. Courtois needed some luck moments later, though, when he lost balance and Messi blazed over.

Atletico went quiet until Gabi wasted a glorious chance on the counter-attack after 70 minutes. Barça's defenders backed off him as he ran into the area, preferring to mark Villa's run into the middle, and it proved the correct call when the skipper's weak shot was kept out by Pinto's extended leg.

The home side's failure to kill Barça off was increasing the tension inside the Vicente Calderon and when Neymar headed narrowly wide the home fans held their breath. Still Atletico failed to find the killer second goal and Pinto made another sharp stop to deny Critisan Rodriguez in stoppage-time.