Celtic sneak through

Celtic came from behind to clinch a narrow 2-1 victory over First Division strugglers Dundee in their Scottish Cup Fourth Round match on Saturday. A howler from Celtic keeper Artur Boruc gifted Colin McMenamin the chance to put Dundee ahead early in the game.

But two superb individual goals from Scott Brown and Aiden McGeady, making his first appearance in three games following a bust-up with manager Gordon Strachan, gave Celtic the win. The first chance of the match came in the fifth minute from Shunsuke Nakamura. The ball landed at his feet after the Dundee defence failed to clear an McGeady cross but the Japanese international's shot was easily saved by former Celtic keeper Rab Douglas.

Celtic dominated possession and continued to press but it was Dundee who took the lead in extraordinary fashion following a horrendous blunder from Boruc in the 14th minute. Glenn Loovens headed wide from a Nakamura corner but Dundee winger O'Brien kept the ball in play on the by-line before knocking it round Jan Veenegoor of Hesselink and playing a long ball forward for McMenamin to chase.

Boruc looked favourite to get to it first as he raced out his box but the Pole completely missed his attempted left-foot volley clearance leaving the Dundee striker free to roll the ball into the empty net. The home fans thought Brown had fired Celtic level in the 27th minute but his header from a Nakamura free-kick hit the side netting. But the midfield dynamo had his name on the scoresheet ten minutes later.

He raced down the left-wing before cutting in and finding Scott McDonald with a pass. The Australian's shot was weak but the ball broke back to Brown who calmly slotted it past Douglas. Celtic took the lead in the 44th minute through a tremendous McGeady strike. A flowing move involving Lee Naylor culminated in the Irish international cutting inside from the left and firing an angled stinging drive past Douglas into the top corner of the net.

McMenamin has a chance to get his second of the match in the 51st minute but his audacious back-flick from a cross from the left-wing went straight to Boruc. A minute later McGeady tried his luck with a chip from the edge of the box which Douglas did well to tip over the bar. Dundee striker McMenamin was again presented with a chance in the 61st minute when he found some space 25 yards out but Boruc watched his weak effort trundle past the post.

McDonald created an opportunity for himself in the 74th minute when he lost his marker in the box but Douglas did well to hold on to his low angled drive in the slippery conditions. Substitute Georgios Samaras could have made it three with a couple of minutes remaining as the ball broke to him in the box but he fired his volley well wide.

Another Boruc mistake nearly gifted Dundee an equaliser in the final minute. The Polish keeper let a cross from the right slip through his fingers and Loovens was forced to volley the ball clear with several Dundee players bearing down on him.

SPL strugglers Inverness Caledonian Thistle made light work of First Division Partick Thistle with a 3-0 victory. A late Alex Williams equaliser means Kilmarnock and Ayr will have to replay the Ayrshire derby at Rugby Park following a 2-2 draw. Aberdeen were forced to work hard for a 2-1 win over Alloa.

Falkirk sent last year's beaten finalists Queen of the South crashing out of the Cup with a 4-2 win. First Division Airdrie struggled to overcome East of Scotland League side Spartans in a 2-1 win.