Fulham hand Redknapp first defeat

Harry Redknapp suffered his first defeat as Tottenham Hotspur manager, after a mistake by Gomes set up Fulham's 2-1 win at Craven Cottage. Following six matches without defeat since replacing Juande Ramos in the Spurs hot-seat, Redknapp was undone when the Brazilian goalkeeper spilled a Simon Davies cross into his own net, before Andrew Johnson increased Fulham's lead in the second half.

Fraizer Campbell got one back for the visitors in the final stages, but it was too late to rescue Redknapp's unbeaten record. The defeat pushed Tottenham back into the relegation zone, while Fulham remain in mid-table after their second successive victory.

The home side were on top from the moment when Johnson skipped past Jonathan Woodgate and picked out Danny Murphy, but the midfielder's shot was blocked by Vedran Corluka. Clint Dempsey's fierce strike from distance then forced a superb tip-over from Gomes.

Gomes was back in action moments later. He rushed out to collect the ball from Johnson after Bobby Zamora's pass sent the former Everton striker through on goal.

Spurs should have taken the lead in the 29th minute when Luka Modric's cross was deflected off John Pantsil to David Bentley, whose volley beat Mark Schwarzer but fell just wide of the post. Seconds later Darren Bent should have done better when a long pass from Tom Huddlestone fell at his feet inside the penalty area, but he shot straight at the Australian goalkeeper.

It was a costly miss as Fulham went ahead in the 32nd minute. Davies sent a teasing cross into the penalty area and, after taking a slight deflection off the head of Woodgate, Gomes allowed the ball to slip through his grasp and into the net. The goal was credited to former Spurs midfielder Davies.

Redknapp made two changes during the interval, with Aaron Lennon and Roman Pavlyuchenko sent on. But it was Fulham who continued to dominate, and they forced Gomes into a fine save from a ferocious Jimmy Bullard free-kick in the 53rd minute.

Spurs finally started to apply some pressure thereafter, and Ledley King was unlucky with a volley that flashed over in the 66th minute. However, when they failed to clear Paul Konchesky's corner, Johnson pounced to score their second from six yards in the 69th minute.

Redknapp replaced Bent with Campbell, and the youngster rewarded his manager with a well-taken strike in the 80th minute.

Gomes pulled off a stunning save to deny Bullard his side's third, and although the visitors applied plenty of late pressure, they could not find an equaliser.