Everton late show sinks Hammers

Everton staged a stunning smash and grab raid as three goals in the last seven minutes stole an unlikely 3-1 win against West Ham on Saturday.

The Hammers looked set for their first win in six games after Wales youngster Jack Collison fired them in front at Upton Park, but two goals from Louis Saha and one from defender Joleon Lescott sent the Upton Park faithful home miserable. The visitors jumped into seventh spot in the table thanks to their late show, while Gianfranco Zola's struggling team slipped to 13th.

Everton started the stronger with France striker Saha lashing a good effort just past the post in the second minute. However, the home team battled their way into the game with former Newcastle midfielder Scott Parker pulling the strings and 18-year-old starlet Freddie Sears causing concern in the visitors' backline.

Sears scuffed a decent opportunity when well-placed and then set up Wales striker Craig Bellamy for two chances in as many minutes. The former Newcastle forward struck the first effort against a defender before mishitting his second attempt as he went for power instead of control.

Bellamy then turned creator for Sears but the youth academy graduate was unlucky to see his finish deflect off a defender and clip the crossbar.

The home onslaught continued but the livewire Sears could not break the deadlock, passing the ball wide of goal when one-on-one with American keeper Tim Howard. There was always the danger that the visitors would nick a goal and midfielder Jack Rodwell nearly provided it but his close-range header from Mikel Arteta's corner flashed wide of the target.

The deadlock was broken shortly after the hour mark when Collison notched his first goal for the club in fine style.

A long ball into Everton's half was helped into the penalty area by a Sears flick that manager Zola would have been proud of. Fellow youth acadamy graduate Collison ran onto the ball and hammered an unstopable shot past Howard to give the Irons a deserved lead.

All looked well for the home team but their defensive frailties were again exposed as the Toffees snatched three goals in four minutes.  Centre-back Lescott grabbed the equaliser, heading in from close range after a cross from ex-Manchester United striker Saha.

The Frenchmen then turned scorer when his shot took a huge deflection to wrongfoot Rob Green in the home goal. The turnaround was completed a minute later when Saha fired an accurate strike into the corner of the goal to send the visiting fans wild.