Atletico Madrid said Thursday UEFA has postponed a two-match stadium ban imposed against the club, meaning Liverpool's UEFA Champion's League match next week can be played in the Spanish capital.

"UEFA's appeal committee...has decided on a temporary suspension requested by Atletico Madrid of the sanction imposed by UEFA's disciplinary committee," the club said in a statement. "As a result, the next Champions League match against Liverpool, scheduled on October 22, will take place at the Vicente Calderon stadium."

UEFA on Tuesday ordered Atletico to play their next two European matches at a stadium at least 300 kilometres (200 miles) from Madrid as punishment for crowd disturbances and racist insults against Marseille players during a Champions League match on 1 October.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry immediately expressed his satisfaction that UEFA had listened to the club's concerns.

Parry told the club's website: "We're delighted at the decision because it means our fans can travel to the game as previously planned without additional expense or inconvenience.

"Liverpool are grateful for the help the FA have provided and pleased UEFA have listened to and acted on the arguments we put forward this week."

Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero said in Brussels Thursday that Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos had made a direct appeal to UEFA president Michel Platini to allow the game to go ahead at Atletico's Vicente Calderon stadium.

"The government has been concerned by this decision and has been in direct contact with UEFA," Zapatero told journalists on the sidelines of an EU summit. Minister Moratinos talked to Mr Platini while the interior ministry is preparing to send UEFA a full explanation on why the police action was correct.

"We want them to understand that they have come to a decision on the basis of incorrect information."

Atletico and Liverpool are joint leaders in Group D of the Champions League having both won their opening two matches.

Atletico has slammed the sanctions as "completely unfair and disproportionate."At no time were insults of racist or xenophobic character directed at any Olympique Marseille player, as supported by the video of the match and in the record given by the UEFA delegate himself," it said.