Liverpool late show, Chelsea win

Liverpool fought back for a last-gasp 3-2 victory at ten-man Manchester City to keep pace with Chelsea at the top of the English Premier League on Sunday. The Reds were 2-0 down before Fernando Torres equalised at 2-2. Dirk Kuyt scored a late winner as Chelsea beat visitors Aston Villa, 2-0, thanks to goals from Joe Cole and Nicolas Anelka. The results left Liverpool and Chelsea level on points at the top of the Premier League, with the Blues ahead on goal difference.

Top flight debutants Hull City heaped the pressure on Tottenham manager Juande Ramos with a 1-0 away win that moved the Tigers up to third in the table. Tottenham is last. Newcastle salvaged a point in a 2-2 draw at Everton in Joe Kinnear's first game in caretaker control of the Magpies. Bolton won, 3-1, at West Ham and Portsmouth beat visiting Stoke, 2-1.

Stephen Ireland gave Manchester City a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute and Javier Garrido doubled the lead with a stunning free kick in the 41st minute. Torres scored Liverpool's 1,000th goal in the Premier League in the 55th minute, before City defender Pablo Zabaleta was sent off in the 67th minute for a challenge on Xabi Alonso.  Torres scored off a glancing header six minutes later before Kuyt connected in injury time.

At Stamford Bridge, Chelsea outplayed Villa. Cole scored in the 21st minute with a right-footed shot set up by fellow England midfielder Frank Lampard.  France striker Anelka scored the Blues' second goal from six yards a minute before half-time. Across London, Hull's excellent run continued thanks to a stunning free kick from Brazilian international midfielder Geovanni in the ninth minute. It is Tottenham's worst start to a season for 96 years, their joint worst ever start. Hull stunned Spurs' north London rivals Arsenal last weekend with a 2-1 win.

Newcastle fought back to claim a 2-2 draw at Everton as the fiery Kinnear, serving a touchline ban, watched from the stands at Goodison Park. Magpies midfielder Nicky Butt pulled down defender Leighton Baines in the box and Mikel Arteta scored the resulting penalty for the Toffees in the 17th minute. Belgium midfielder Marouane Fellaini scored his first goal for Everton in the 35th minute, converting a cross from Baines. But Steven Taylor pulled a goal back for the Magpies just before the interval, heading in a Geremi cross. Damien Duff rescued a point two minutes after the break, scoring off a Taylor cross. Newcastle moved up to third from bottom in the table.

Blunders by West Ham goalkeeper Robert Green helped visitors Bolton Wanderers to a 3-1 victory at Upton Park, the Trotters' first away win of the season. Green dropped a long ball 30 minutes in, allowing Kevin Davies to poke in the opener. Four minutes later, Gary Cahill reacted quickest when Green failed to hold a shot. Carlton Cole gave the hosts hope with a headed goal in the 69th minute. But Matthew Taylor ensured the Hammers' first league defeat under new manager Gianfranco Zola with an 86th-minute long-range free kick.

Zola insisted Green was a "great goalkeeper."  He added: "He has all my trust, all of the team's trust. Everyone believes in him. It has been a bad day. The important thing is that you are always confident in what we are doing, because they are the right things to do for us."

At Fratton Park, Portsmouth saw off visitors Stoke City with a 2-1 win, moving the UEFA Cup side up to seventh in the table. Peter Crouch gave the hosts the lead in the 25th minute with a 25th-minute overhead kick. Ricardo Fuller equalised for the Potters in the 48th minute but Pompey were back in front three minutes later thanks to Crouch's fellow England striker Jermain Defoe.