Everton snatched a late 2-2 draw at the KC Stadium on Sunday against Hull City in the English Premier League. Hull looked set to continue their impressive start to life in the Premier League as Michael Turner's first half header and a Phil Neville own goal soon after the break put the hosts in control. But Tim Cahill's controversial late strike gave Everton a lifeline, and Osman capitalised with the equaliser 12 minutes from full time.

Everton manager David Moyes dropped England defender Joleon Lescott following an indifferent performance in Thursday's 2-2 draw with Standard Liege in the UEFA Cup, while Hull gave a debut to former Rangers striker Daniel Cousin.

The game got off to a lively start, with Hull winger Peter Halmosi creating a fine chance for Bernard Mendy in the second minute. Halmosi broke away from two defenders and then skipped past Neville to deliver an inviting cross, but Mendy headed straight at goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Osman spurned a good chance after 11 minutes when Neville pulled the ball back to him unmarked in the box and he scuffed his shot wide. At the other end, Dean Marney slipped Bernard Mendy in with a fine pass, but the Frenchman took too long and shot wide.

Defying expectations
Hull have defied expectations so far this season and they were at it again in the 18th minute. Marney swung over a corner, and Turner directed his header back over Howard and past Osman's despairing attempt at a clearance off the line for the opening goal.

Everton produced an immediate response with Ayegbeni Yakubu meeting Marouane Fellaini's knock-down with a fierce volley, but Boaz Myhill parried and Hull cleared.

Marlon King, two-goal hero at Newcastle last week, went close to doubling Hull's lead after 26 minutes when he curled a free kick just wide after Neville fouled Halmosi on the edge of the box.

Moyes sent on Lescott and Louis Saha at half-time, but Hull scored a second goal after 48 minutes. Marney was the provider again, and this time Neville headed past his own keeper and into the net.

Everton were frustrated in their efforts to reply with Cahill slicing a volley wide, Saha having a low drive saved by Myhill and Lescott blasting over. However, persistence paid off when Everton pulled one back after 73 minutes through Cahill, although it took a brave decision from the officials.

Kamil Zayatte could only stab his clearance from an Osman shot at Cahill - and the Australian blasted a shot against the crossbar which bounced down, according to the referee's assistant, over the line.

Everton claimed their equaliser with 12 minutes remaining when Yakubu played a one-two with Saha and crossed for Osman to get ahead of Myhill and volley in from close range.