Steven Gerrard capped a sensational fightback by Liverpool as the England midfielder's stoppage time strike snatched a 2-1 win against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Rafa Benitez's side looked to be heading for a first league defeat at Anfield since December when Egyptian forward Mido scored in the 70th minute. However, with just four minutes left, Middlesbrough defender Emanuel Pogatetz deflected Jamie Carragher's shot into his own net.

That set the stage for Liverpool captain Gerrard to conjure up another moment of last-minute magic as he slammed a superb shot into the top corner to send Liverpool top of the table with two successive wins.

It was the perfect way for Gerrard to erase the controversy surrounding his form and fitness after a lacklustre display in England's midweek friendly against the Czech Republic.

Elsewhere, Djibril Cisse made an instant impact for Sunderland as the France striker's late strike on his debut sealed a 2-1 win at Tottenham. Cisse, who joined on loan from Marseille this week, scored 18 minutes after coming on at White Hart Lane, this after Jermaine Jenas had cancelled out Kieran Richardson's opener for Roy Keane's side.

It was another dispiriting day for Spurs boss Juande Ramos, who dropped Dimitar Berbatov because he believes the Bulgarian striker has not been focused enough since asking for a transfer in an attempt to force a move to Manchester United.

Richardson broke the deadlock in the 55th minute with a fierce long-range effort that flashed past Heurelho Gomes. Jenas levelled in the 73rd minute with a close-range finish after Craig Gordon had denied Luka Modric. However, Cisse condemned Tottenham to a second successive defeat with clinical strike in the 83rd minute.

Owen on target
Michael Owen, meanwhile, celebrated his return to fitness in style as the Newcastle striker clinched a 1-0 win over Bolton. Owen, who contracted mumps during pre-season, missed Newcastle's opening weekend draw with a calf injury, but the England star was back on the scoresheet 18 minutes after coming off the bench at St James' Park.

Bolton had a glorious chance to go ahead when Steven Taylor handled a cross midway through the second half, but Shay Given saved Kevin Nolan's spot-kick. Owen made Nolan pay with a typically predatory header from Geremi's cross in the 71st minute.

Stoke claimed their first top-flight victory since 1985 as Mamady Sidibe's stoppage time strike beat Aston Villa 3-2 at the Britannia Stadium. Tony Pulis's side took the lead in the 30th minute when Liam Lawrence stroked home a penalty after Laursen fouled Rory Delap.

John Carew equalised in the 63rd minute as the Norway international fired past former Villa keeper Thomas Sorensen from Ashley Young's pass. Ricardo Fuller restored Stoke's lead in the 80th minute, then Laursen struck for Villa with six minutes to play. But Sidibe had the last word when he steered home to send the Stoke fans wild.

Leon Osman lifted the gloom around Everton as the midfielder's goal set up a 2-1 win at West Bromwich Albion. David Moyes is unhappy at the club's failure to back him in the transfer market and the Toffees lost at home to Blackburn last week.

However, Osman gave Moyes some much-needed respite when he buried Mikel Arteta's pass in the 65th minute. Nigeria striker Ayegbeni Yakubu put the result beyond doubt in the 76th minute with a cool strike for his 100th goal in English football. Roman Bednar's 89th minute penalty was too little too late for Albion.

Hull's impressive start to their first top-flight campaign continued as Richard Garcia earned a 1-1 draw against Blackburn. Phil Brown's side, who beat Fulham last week, fell behind at Ewood Park when Jason Roberts punished slack defending from the visitors in the 38th minute. However, Australian forward Garcia drew Hull level two minutes later with a header from Craig Fagan's cross.

Arsenal travel across London to play Fulham in Saturday's late match. On Sunday, Chelsea are at Wigan andd Manchester City host West Ham. Manchester United visit Portsmouth on Monday.