Rangers blew their 100 per cent start to the Scottish Premier League campaign as Walter Smith's side were held to a 1-1 draw at Aberdeen.

David Weir had given the Ibrox outfit an early lead but Derek Young levelled on the stroke of half-time and Rangers rarely threatened to regain the lead. After the humiliation of their UEFA Champions League qualifying round exit to Kaunas, Rangers looked to be back on track after successive league wins but this was a disjointed display.

It should have been so different after Rangers started brightly. Steven Davis, who starred on loan for the Ibrox club last season, made his first appearance after his permanent move from Fulham and initially gave the visitors a dynamic presence in midfield.

Rangers carved out a decent opportunity in the opening minutes when Kirk Broadfoot charged down the right flank before delivering a cross to Nacho Novo. The striker turned Andrew Considine before rifling inches over the crossbar.

Smith's side surged into the lead with 24 minutes gone after Novo was fouled out on the right by Considine and Kevin Thomson's free-kick was met by the head of Weir, who nodded past Jamie Langfield from 10 yards. Rangers were determined to add to their lead and Scott Severin found himself dispossessed by Novo, whose angled chip fell across the face of goal and wide of the target.

However, Aberdeen were back on level terms in the 45th minute. A Charlie Mulgrew cross was met by Miller, who saw his header blocked by Allan McGregor, before Young blasted home the rebound.

Rangers were determined to reclaim their lead after the restart, with Novo charging past several red jerseys into the box only for his finishing to let him down as he lashed over the crossbar. Boyd then nodded a Thomson cross into the path of Sasa Papac in front of goal but Langfield managed to clear the danger before the full-back could pull the trigger.

DaMarcus Beasley  thought he had stolen the points in injury time when he lashed home, but his effort was ruled out for offside.