Bayern Munich began their assault on the 2007/08 UEFA Cup title on Thursday with a 1-0 victory over Portuguese club Belenenses while English clubs had a mixed night.

Tottenham thrashed Cypriot side Anorthosis Famagusta 6-1 with England striker Jermain Defoe on target, Blackburn fell 2-0 at Greek club Larissa, while Everton and Bolton were both held to 1-1 draws.

It's 11 years since the Bavarian club won this competition, beating Bordeaux in the final, and for many of their supporters just appearing in this second-tier European competition is a disappointment as since then they have appeared in every UEFA Champions League competition, winning it in 2001.

Bayern fielded all their stars except Miroslav Klose who had a one-match suspension for a sending off hanging over from last season.

Though Bayern dominated the match, their 1-0 result was hardly awe-inspiring and they still have work to do in the second leg in Lisbon on 4 October.

Bayern went ahead in the 35th minute when Luca Toni found the net after good work from Mark van Bommel.

The Italian striker, still handicapped by a right thigh injury, notched up his fourth goal in five competitive matches since arriving at Munich.

England striker Jermain Defoe was on the scoresheet twice as Tottenham had a goal feast against Anorthosis Famagusta, hammering the Cypriot side 6-1 in the first leg of their first-round clash at White Hart Lane.

Younes Kaboul opened the scoring early on and Michael Dawson, Robbie Keane and Darren Bent put Spurs within sight of the group stages before the break.

Defoe, who has not started a game this season and was not in the squad against Arsenal, scored with his first touch after coming on in the 63rd minute before the visitors pulled a goal back through Anton Zlogar.

But no-one could snatch the headlines from Defoe as he added his second in stoppage time, curling home from 25 yards out.

Blackburn suffered a potentially disastrous defeat to Larissa, going down 2-0 in Greece.

Mark Hughes' side were caught cold just after the half-hour as the Greek Cup winners struck twice in 90 seconds.

Former Everton striker Ibrahima Bakayoko fired Larissa in front with a deflected 30-yard strike which looped over Brad Friedel, before Cleyton curled home the second after Brett Emerton gave the ball away in midfield.

Bolton drew 1-1 at Macedonia club FK Rabotnicki with Abdoulaye Meite hitting an equaliser for the visitors in the closing stages while Everton also drew 1-1 at home to Ukrainians's FC Metalist Kharkiv with defender Joleon Lescott on target for the Toffees.