Australia will kick off a knockout cup competition next year involving the top A-League teams as well as amateur sides from across the vast nation, the sport's top official said on Thursday.
Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop said his board had given preliminary approval on 23 August, subject to commercial arrangements being finalised.
"The idea of the FFA Cup has captured the imagination of the football community and there's a huge groundswell of support," Gallop said in a statement.
"Everyone in the game is keen for this concept to come to life, but the prudent way forward is to ensure the right commercial and organisational foundations are in place.
"FFA management now has a mandate to conclude the many positive talks we've had with broadcasters, sponsors and commercial partners."
Gallop said over the past 12 months an FFA project team had been developing options for the tournament, in consultation with member federations and A-League clubs.
He said the plan for the FFA Cup includes amateur and semi-professional clubs, including second-tier National Premier Leagues and A-League clubs entering the draw on a progressive basis.
All state and territory member federations and the 10 A-League clubs had unanimously endorsed the proposal to stage the inaugural tournament within the calendar year, with a cup final in December 2014, Gallop added.