Bayern march on, Dortmund cruise
© Getty Images

Bayern Munich made a winning start to 2013 to maintain a nine-point lead at the top of the Bundesliga with a 2-0 victory over Bavarian rivals Greuther Furth at the Allianz Arena.

Two goals from Mario Mandzukic were enough for the hosts to see off the challenge of the league's bottom club in the first of coach Jupp Heynckes' final 17 games in charge before making way for Pep Guardiola next season.

Second-placed Bayer Leverkusen kept up their pursuit of Bayern, but their 3-1 win over Eintracht Frankfurt was marred by crowd trouble. Visiting fans lit flares and fireworks after 15 minutes to prompt an unscheduled break in the game, as the players were taken off the pitch.

Leverkusen returned to the field to provide pyrotechnics of their own with goals from Sebastian Boenisch and Stefan Kiessling. Andre Schurrle made it 3-0 in the 58th minute before Alexander Meier grabbed a late consolation for Armin Veh's men, who remained fourth in the table.

Sahin returns, Hecking starts with a win
Third-spotted Borussia Dortmund enjoyed a thumping 5-0 win at Werder Bremen to ensure the champions finished the day still 12 points behind Bayern. Marco Reus and Mario Gotze set the visitors on their way with goals inside 20 minutes, with Felipe Santana putting the result beyond doubt three minutes into the second half.

Further strikes in the final 10 minutes from Robert Lewandowski and substitutes Jakub Blaszczykowski sealed the rout. Nuri Sahin came on as a late substitute to make his first appearance for Dortmund since rejoining them on loan from Real Madrid.

Dieter Hecking enjoyed a winning start to life as Wolfsburg coach as his side completed the double over Stuttgart with a 2-0 triumph at the VW-Arena. Diego and Alexander Madlung scored the goals, both in the second half, as the Wolves moved clear of the bottom three.

Hoffenheim's new coach Marco Kurz was able to end a six-game losing streak but could only celebrate a point in a goalless stalemate with Borussia Monchengladbach.

Mainz and Freiburg both stayed in contention for European football next season after also playing out a 0-0 draw at the Coface Arena. The match came to life late on when Mainz went closest to breaking the deadlock, but they were forced to end the game with 10 men after Shawn Parker picked up a second yellow card late on.