QPR upset Chelsea, Liverpool down Mackems
© Getty Images

Bottom side Queens Park Rangers picked up only their second Premier League victory of the season as they stunned European champions Chelsea 1-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Former Blue Shaun Wright-Phillips, an early substitute for the injured Junior Hoilett, scored the only goal with 12 minutes left and though Rangers remain bottom on goal difference, they are now five points from safety.

Wright-Phillips' first league goal in over 50 top flight games topped a fine performance from QPR that was a vast improvement on Sunday's tame home surrender to Liverpool.

It was a crucial victory that ended their three-match losing run, giving Harry Redknapp his second win since becoming manager last month.

Frank Lampard did have a goal ruled out for offside in the second half before Wright-Phillips fired his side to a famous victory.

Suarez at the double
Luis Suarez struck twice as Liverpool beat Sunderland 3-0 at Anfield. 

Firstly, Suarez hooked a ball forward for Sterling to race on to and, as Simon Mignolet charged out to the edge of his penalty area, the 18-year-old coolly lobbed the goalkeeper. 

James McClean should have equalised after Sunderland easily cut through the Liverpool defence but he managed to miss the target with only Pepe Reina to beat and it proved costly.

From the hosts' next chance Steven Gerrard's pass released Suarez who was bounced off the ball by Carlos Cuellar.

Referee Phil Dowd played a good advantage and the forward continued his run into the box before drilling a shot through the goalkeeper's legs with the outside of his right boot.

Steven Gerrard collected the ball close to the right-back position and, with no pressure on him, he had time to pick out Suarez's run 60 yards away.

His team-mate needed no second invitation and in collecting the ball, moved it to his right to unsteady Mignolet and fired home Liverpool's third.

Baines thunderbolt signals revival
Substitute Victor Anichebe scored the winner for Everton as Newcastle United's poor form continued with a 2-1 defeat at St James' Park.

Newcastle had taken the lead in the opening moments of the game. The Everton defence inexplicably allowed Tim Krul's long clearance to bounce on the edge of the penalty area and, having gambled on the ball reaching him, Cisse calmly headed it over the stranded Tim Howard.

England international Leighton Baines slammed home a 30-yard free kick to equalise for the Toffees, taking advantage after Marouane Fellaini had been fouled.

Anichebe, who replaced Steven Naismith in the 58th minute, finished from close range on the hour to send Everton into fifth.