Hibs strike late to reach Cup final
© Getty Images

A last-gasp strike from Leigh Griffiths helped Hibernian reach their first Scottish Cup final since 2001, setting up a clash with either league champions Celtic or Edinburgh rivals Hearts. Hibs, who are second bottom of the Scottish Premier League, were the quickest out the traps and took the lead with just over two minutes gone when Garry O'Connor side-footed the ball past Jason Brown from close range.

The Edinburgh side had the best of the first half and Griffiths had chances to add to their advantage before the break. Aberdeen hauled themselves level in the 59th minute when New Zealand international Rory Fallon sent a sensational volley over Graham Stack from 25 yards. Both teams pushed forward looking for a winner but it was Griffiths who sent an angled shot past Brown in the 85th minute to claim the winner for Hibs.

Hibs, who have not won the Scottish Cup since 1902, will face the winner of Sunday's semi-final between Celtic and Hearts in May's final. At Hampden, Hibs made a dream start as O'Connor gave them a third-minute lead. Griffiths initial shot was blocked but Pa Saikou Kujabi dinked the ball back into the box for the unmarked O'Connor to sidefoot it into the net from six yards.

Aberdeen tried to respond immediately when Scott Vernon got behind the Hibs defence but sent a shot straight to Stack when he might have been better passing. James McPake then sent Griffiths racing forward but after cutting inside the Hibs striker sliced his left-foot strike from the edge of the box well wide. The Dons defence were struggling to cope with the pace of Griffiths and he got away from Andrew Considine but again pulled his shot wide.

Aberdeen came out from the break fired up and should have done better when Considine met a Stephen Hughes free-kick in the box but he sent his header straight to Stack. Fraser Fyvie then sent a miscued volley well over the bar after being found at the back post as the Dons pressed for an equaliser.

Aberdeen did not have to wait long to get a goal, with a spectacular strike putting them on level terms in the 59th minute. A poor headed clearance from Hibs dropped to Fallon who took a touch on his chest before lashing a sensational dipping volley over Stack from 25 yards.

Griffiths hit the post for Hibs before the on-loan Wolves striker fired home an 85th minute winner. O'Connor showed great technique to flick the ball into Griffiths path and the striker held off two Aberdeen defenders to send an angled shot past Brown from ten yards.