Buriram run ended, Roar rescue point
© Getty Images

Former title-holders Jeonbuk Motors halted Buriram United's dream run, winning 2-0 as the unheralded Thai outfit suffered their first defeat of the AFC Champions League.

First-half goals from former Middlesbrough man Lee Dong-Gook and Seo Sang-Min silenced the crowd at Thunder Castle Stadium and handed Jeonbuk, the 2006 Asian champions, their debut points of the season.

Despite the setback, Buriram, winner of Thailand's treble last season, remain top of Group H and Korea Republic's Jeonbuk are still bottom, one point adrift of Kashiwa Reysol and Guangzhou Evergrande, who fought to a 0-0 draw.

J.League winners Kashiwa found their playmakers nullified by Guangzhou, the reigning Chinese champions, who also looked dangerous going forward. But in a tense match, neither side could claim the breakthrough.

"We had several chances to score while they also had chances," said Kashiwa's Brazilian coach, Nelsinho. "It was good that my players experienced a game where we can't make a mistake."

Two draws in Group F
On Australia's east coast, Brisbane Roar clung on for a 1-1 draw with Korea Republic's Ulsan Hyundai despite having defender Matt Jurman sent off just after half-time.

The Australian champions had gone ahead through striker Nick Fitzgerald on 36 minutes before Jurman was given his marching orders for fouling midfielder Kim Seung-Yong in the box.

Brisbane goalkeeper Michael Theoklitos saved the spot-kick but the Roar were guilty of some slack defending when Lee Jae-Seong equalised from a corner on 54 minutes.

"I thought we played really well for the whole game," Brisbane coach Ange Postecoglou told the Australian Associated Press. "We deserved to be one-up but going down the man for the majority of the second half it was always going to be difficult but again we created two or three fantastic opportunities for ourselves.

"Tonight with ten men we still tried to play our football, we still wanted to get the second goal and we weren't satisfied with just getting a point and full credit to the players for that. The frustrating thing was we just couldn't get the reward that I thought we deserved."

The result left Group F unchanged at the halfway point after leaders FC Tokyo also drew 1-1 with Beijing Guoan. At Beijing's Workers Stadium, Wang Xiaolong converted a penalty in the 11th minute for the home side but Tokyo's Ariajasuru Hasegawa equalised just before half-time.