Spurs sink Pirates in final
© Getty Images

Tottenham Hotspur defeated Orlando Pirates 3-0 for the second time in four years at the 2011 Vodacom Challenge final to boost their pre-season preparations.

Netherlands midfielder Rafael van der Vaart struck either side of half-time for the Premier League outfit at Ellis Park, while England striker Jermain Defoe completed the scoring three minutes from full-time.

It was the most impressive display by Tottenham throughout their three-match South African tour after losing against Kaizer Chiefs last Saturday and drawing with Pirates three days later.

"The difference between the teams today was that we took our chances. It was a good trip to a fantastic country and I hope we are invited again next year," said Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp.

"Pirates and Chiefs offered good opposition and my players are fitter and stronger after the tour. Now we go home to continue preparing for our first Premier League fixture against Everton."

"It may be a pre-season tournament, but you always want to win a final and that is why I am so happy," said Van der Vaart. I enjoy playing against South African clubs and scored two nice goals today."

It was a good trip to a fantastic country and I hope we are invited again next year.
Harry Redknapp, Tottenham Hotspur coach

Spurs were captained for the second consecutive match by want-away Luka Modric with Chelsea having two £20 million-plus offers for the Croatian midfielder rejected and Redknapp insisting that none of his stars are for sale at any price.

South African midfielder and captain Steven Pienaar and Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes made their tour debuts for Spurs, who took control in the second half after a even opening 45 minutes.

Both teams wasted chances before Van der Vaart repeated his feat of last Tuesday by scoring a free-kick taken just outside the box, curling the ball over the wall and into the corner off the left hand of goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa in the 35th minute.

Pirates were waiting for an offside whistle when Van der Vaart raced through for the second goal eight minutes after half-time with Meyiwa saving his first attempt, but unable to prevent a lob trickling into the baknet.

Midfielder Tlou Segolela failed to convert a penalty awarded for handball and in the 87th minute Defoe punished the Buccaneers, knocking home from close-range off a Gareth Bale cross.