Jelavic wins League Cup in extra time
© Getty Images

Nikica Jelavic scored a dramatic winner in extra time as Rangers clinched the Scottish League Cup with a 2-1 win over ten-man Celtic at Hampden Park.

After the off-field antics in the last Old Firm league fixture the fireworks were kept to the pitch this time round as Steven Davis gave Rangers the lead in the 24th minute before Joe Ledley headed the Hoops level seven minutes later.

Jelavic looked to have won his side a penalty just before half-time after referee Craig Thomson pointed to the spot following a tussle with Thomas Rogne but he rescinded his decision and booked the Croatian for diving.

I thought it was a terrific game today. I hope both teams get a bit of praise for the way they played.
Walter Smith, Rangers manager

However, after a goalless second-half, it was the Croatian who had the last laugh when he popped up in injury time to slot the ball in off both posts eight minutes into extra time.

Celtic then had Emilio Izaguirre sent off in the final minute of extra time for a foul on substitute Vladimir Weiss as Walter Smith, in his last appearance at the national stadium before he retires this summer, lifted the trophy and gained revenge for defeat by their rivals in the final two years ago.

Smith was delighted with his side's success. "I thought it was a terrific game today. Although I felt we slightly edged it overall and deserved to win, it could have gone either way," the Rangers manager said. "I hope both teams get a bit of praise for the way they played."

Davis breaks the deadlock
Jelavic was in fine form from kick-off and had the first chance when Sasa Papac picked him out with a crossfield pass but he mis-hit his shot, allowing Fraser Forster to gather.

Celtic had a double appeal for a penalty in the 16th minute when Gary Hooper fell at the edge of the box then Wilson took a tumble as he raced past Madjid Bougherra but referee Thomson waved away their protests.

Rangers opened the scoring in the 24th minute with a solo goal from Davis. The Northern Irish international drove at the Celtic defence, who backed off him, allowing the midfielder to send an angled shot past the outstretched arm of Forster and in off the post from 18 yards.

However, they held the lead for just over six minutes before Ledley hauled Celtic level. Izaguirre's cross from the left was flicked on by Georgios Samaras to the Welsh midfielder, who directed his header past Neil Alexander for his third goal in two games.

The second half got off to a pulsating start with Forster beating away a fierce strike from Steven Whittaker before Papac nearly turned a Kris Commons cross into his own net.

Jelavic then blazed a shot over the bar from eight yards before referee Thomson turned down another penalty appeal in the 61st minute after Maurice Edu's flick appeared to hit Wilson's arm.

Brown, Bougherra off injured
Celtic were dealt another blow when captain Brown limped off to be replaced by Korea Republic international Ki Sung-Yeung in the 65th minute. Bougherra's injury saw Kyle Hutton introduced with Whittaker moving into the centre of defence.

With five minutes to go Ledley forced Alexander into a save before Ki sent a free-kick straight into the goalkeeper's arms as the match headed to extra time. Only a superb save from Forster stopped Rangers taking the lead in the 96th minute.

Jelavic's free-kick took a wicked deflection, sending the keeper the wrong way, but he produced a magnificent reflex save to tip the ball over the bar.

However, the Croatian soon had the Rangers fans in raptures when he restored their lead in the 98th minute. He raced clear of the Celtic defence and, as Forster rushed out, his low shot went past him and off both posts before crossing the line.

Izaguirre was shown a straight red in the last minute of extra time as he bundled Weiss to the ground as he looked to race clear.