Vietnam thrash Myanmar

Nguyen Ahn Duc and Nguyen Trong Hoang both scored twice as Vietnam began their 2010 AFF Cup defence with an emphatic 7-1 victory over Myanmar at My Dinh National Stadium in Hanoi.

Vietnam broke the deadlock after 14 minutes of the Group B game when Ahn Duc smashed home a rebound after keeper Zin Htet Kyaw had parried Nguyen Minh Phuong's initial effort. Their lead lasted all of two minutes as Myanmar stunned the hosts with a fine equaliser.

Aung Kyaw Moe ran between two defenders to latch on to Thant Myo Aung's long ball before firing a shot with the outside of his right foot from just outside the box that beat the Vietnam keeper. However, the hosts reasserted their authority in the 29th minute when Minh Fong nonchalantly lifted a free-kick from the edge of the dee into the back of the net.

Vietnam proved irresistible in the second-half and added a further five goals to their tally against an increasingly demoralized MyanmarLe Tan Tai's composed finish made it 3-1 after 50 minutes before Ahn Duc grabbed his second a quarter of an hour later with a powerful header into the bottom corner from Nguyen Vu Phong's floated cross.

The striker turned provider in the 74th minute as his precise cushioned lay-off allowed substitute Trong Hoang to rifle a shot into the bottom corner from just outside the area. Trong Hoang then sidefooted home unmarked inside the six-yard box with eight minutes to go before Vu Phong pounced on a loose ball to slot in the seventh goal in injury time.

Earlier, Chris Greatwich's injury-time equaliser earned a point for a plucky Philippines side against Singapore after a 1-1 draw. The English-born striker popped up just before the final whistle to sidefoot former Chelsea trainee James Younghusband's low cross past keeper Hassan Sunny from six yards as a static Singapore defence looked on.

The Lions had taken the lead in slightly fortuitous fashion after 64 minutes. Noh Alam Shah's bad touch seemed to have ended a promising attack but as he tried to cut the ball back from the byline, it hit a Filipino defender and bounced back into his path.

The forward hung up a cross at the back post and an unmarked Aleksandar Duric headed home from close range but Singapore were left to rue a number of missed chances thanks to Greatwich's late strike.