Miller treble sinks Hibs
© Getty Images

A Kenny Miller hat-trick fired Rangers to a 3-0 win over Hibernian at Easter Road.

Miller started his career at Hibs but is now in his second spell with Rangers and his predatory instincts ensured Walter Smith's Scottish champions maintained their 100  start to the season.

Both teams had been reduced to 10 men just before half-time when Rangers forward Kyle Lafferty and Hibs midfielder Kevin McBride were shown red cards.

But it was Rangers who coped better after the dismissals thanks to Miller, who struck twice in six minutes midway through the second half and completed his treble in stoppage time.

Hibs threatened early on when Michael Hart set up Anthony Stokes for a close-range header, but Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor got just enough of a touch to divert it to safety.

The match turned nasty when Derek Riordan and McGregor were both booked after the Hibs man caught the goalkeeper on the chest while attempting to win the ball, prompting an angry response from the Scotland international.

That set the stage for an even bigger bust-up two minutes before half-time when Lafferty and McBride were dismissed for violent conduct.

Rangers carved out a good chance soon after half-time when Steven Naismith whipped in a cross from the right, only for Miller to head over from a good position.

Edwin de Graaf should have scored for Hibs when he collected a ball from the right with McGregor caught off his line, but Madjid Bougherra managed to clear from the foot of the Dutchman.

It was Rangers who surged into the lead instead in the 64th minute. Sasa Papac's deflected shot was blocked but the ball fell for James Beattie who cut-back for Miller to shoot high into the back of the net.

Vladimir Weiss, on loan from Manchester City was then introduced for his debut two minutes later and the Slovakian winger made an instant impact, exchanging a one-two with Steven Davis before picking out Miller for the striker to slot home from six yards in the 70th minute.

Miller completed his hat-trick in stoppage time when he ran onto a Davis pass, burst down the left and drove his shot past Mark Brown.