Glory, Fury, Mariners share top spot
© Getty Images

Perth Glory celebrated their first win in Melbourne to be one of three teams leading Australia's A-League after two rounds this weekend.

Glory upset Melbourne Victory 2-0 on Saturday to wreck the A-League grand finalists' first match at their new home ground - it was Perth's first win in seven visits to Melbourne.

Goals by defender Jamie Harnwell and former Socceroo forward Mile Sterjovski and an outstanding performance by goalkeeper Tando Velaphi served notice the Glory could be on the rise this season.

North Queensland Fury, who almost folded in the off-season, joined Glory and Central Coast Mariners on top of the standings on four points after a 2-1 home win over champions Sydney FC.

The Franz Straka-coached Fury claimed their first win of the season through goals from Chris Grossman and Dyron Daal after Scott Jamieson had equalised for Sydney.

Striker Matt Simon salvaged a point for Central Coast with his 84th minute strike earning a 1-1 draw with Adelaide United at home on Sunday.

Simon ensured the Mariners maintained an unbeaten start to the season under new coach Graham Arnold after Adelaide had looked to be heading for victory after a first-half goal to defender Iain Fyfe.

Wellington Phoenix and Gold Coast United played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at rain-soaked Wellington Stadium. The draw stretched Phoenix's unbeaten run at home to 20 games but they were disappointed to share the points after conceding two goals in the final 15 minutes.

Paul Ifill opened the scoring for Wellington and English compatriot Chris Greenacre added a brace before All Whites striker Shane Smeltz scored twice for Gold Coast before skipper Jason Culina stole the late equaliser.

Melbourne Heart earned their first point of their debut A-League campaign but only after a bizarre own goal secured them a 1-1 draw with Newcastle Jets in Newcastle.

The Heart looked to be heading to their second 1-0 defeat in as many games before a swift counter-attack in the 79th minute finished with Jets youngster Ben Kantarovski putting into his own net.

The Jets had dominated the game and deserved their 1-0 lead from New Zealander Jeremy Brockie's 60th-minute strike.