Arena: Beckham will be back
© Getty Images

David Beckham's ruptured left Achilles tendon is expected to see the 34-year-old English midfielder be out for six months but the Los Angeles Galaxy is already awaiting his Major League Soccer (MLS) return.

Bruce Arena, the Galaxy coach and general manager, said on Monday that Beckham remains a key figure in the future of the team and the US league he boldly joined in a groundbreaking 2007 player-sponsorship deal.

"We will give David our complete support to make sure that he is able to get himself back to full health before he returns to the field," Arena said in a statement released on the team's website Monday afternoon. "David remains an important player for the Galaxy and we look forward to welcoming him back to the club and assisting him in his recovery."

We will give David our complete support to make sure that he is able to get himself back to full health before he returns to the field.
LA Galaxy chief Bruce Arena

Beckham suffered the injury during AC Milan's 1-0 victory over Chievo Verona in a Serie A match on Sunday at the San Siro, dooming Beckham's dream of playing in the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ in June. "Injuries are an unfortunate part of our game and they are even more disappointing when they happen to a player who was so close to realising his dream of representing his nation at this summer's World Cup," Arena said.

Beckham scored two goals in 11 games for the Galaxy last year after returning at mid-season from AC Milan. If the midfielder were to recover in six months, he could return in time for the final six MLS regular season matches of the 2010 season, five of them at the club's stadium and the other at expansion club Philadelphia Union on 7 October.

That would put Beckham in position to lead the Galaxy to the MLS crown, a goal he narrowly missed last season when Los Angeles lost to Real Salt Lake in the MLS Cup final.